



Community Budget Review Committee

Meeting Agenda

Thursday, March 02, 2023

5:30pm - 7:30pm

[Meeting Link]

[Member Portal]

CBRC ATTENDEES: Eilidh Lowery, Grace Groom, Lisa Selman, Sonya Harvey, Mariah Dula, Stephen Lindner, Karanja Crews, Dashiell Elliott, Tasha Ferguson, Olympia Calvert

STAFF ATTENDEES: Jordan Cooper, Alexandra Martin, Terry Proctor

5:30pm

- Welcome/Check-in
 - Confirm if you can attend 03/14 board work session and if you have dietary restrictions
- Refresh last meeting
- Any updates from the group?
 - Chair/Co-chair/Vice Chair
 - Jordan update

Notes:

JC: Last meeting, Dr. Armstrong provided an overview of the Instructional Framework, we shared a letter from community-based organizations, and we held time for member questions.

MD: Review of some recent questions that have been answered.

KC: Does not see questions asked last week and sent in chat.

JC: They are in the staff-facing document and will move to the CBRC portal when available.

MD: Read several questions and the responses to the committee and prompted the group for further discussion.

JC: Announced Renee Anderson will not be able to continue on the CBRC during her last term. Emphasized thankfulness to Renee.

5:45pm

- CBRC Report workstream discussion
 - [2021-22 CBRC Report](#)
 - [2021-22 Local Option Levy Report](#)

Notes:

LS: Last year, for Local Option, prepared the documents ahead of time so they could insert the

numbers when it was available from staff. For the CBRC report, the group divided the work into sections and had a holistic review. It reduced the workload and allowed the group to have a voice. It was a more collaborative approach.

MD: Suggested if the process worked well and was collaborative, would support continuing.

JC: On April 25 the Proposed budget will be presented to the Board and CBRC will present their report to the Board on May 9.

EL: This group is not tasked with auditing the budget. The charge is to view the budget through the lens of where the district is investing where they said they would. Board goals... Last year's CBRC report was very helpful for the Board.

LS: Focusing on the priorities was helpful.

KC: Where is the information on how the district evaluates programs?

EL: That is outside the scope but it is a question you can ask.

KC: Is there anything we can do proactively?

EL: It is the review committee and we can make changes to the budget based on the feedback and can be forward looking toward the next year's budget.

KC: Have there been changes to the budget based on the CBRC report?

EL: Yes.

KC: Can we ask for information on the metrics ahead of May 9.

EL: Yes but staff may not have it. This is something some Board members ask about often.

MD: From last year's report, there was a question from CBRC on diverse staff member retention. We could look at sectioning the work around some of these areas.

MD: Are there other dates to be aware of?

JC: Discussed timeline for Proposed budget. The CBRC report is due ahead of the May 9 meeting.

LS: There are new topics every year and we would not be able to section it now. We are also not committed to continuing last year's topics.

EL: Class sizes are always a topic, Instructional Coaches are a new investment at school sites (referenced the [budget work session](#) on tactics to increase instructional capacity), restorative justice work and middle school challenges, for example work from the Balmer institute located at Concordia campus. These are some examples for ways we can consider the budget through the lens of Board goals.

MD: Prompted JC to provide dates on the Local Option Levy.

JC: Local Option report looks at the prior year's actual data.

LS: Will there be a report from staff again this year?

JC: Will ask Nolberto if there will be a presentation or how the information will be packaged and provided to the committee. Will provide links with information on the Local Option Levy.

MD: Would be helpful to request the information on Local Option.

LS: Is willing to do the Local Option letter and support a member in learning for next year.

6:45pm

- Board work session update - coming up on 03/14/23
 - Board work session will involve discussion pertaining to ODE Integrated Grant Application;
 - [Integrating Six Programs](#)
 - [ODE Integrated Grant Guidance](#)
 - IGG application due to ODE in March
 - Discussion will also include ESSER;
 - [ESSER Information](#)
 - Roger's [email to board](#) regarding board work session and time for CBRC
 - From Roger: What topics would CBRC members like to cover and what questions would you like to ask at the board work session?

Notes:

JC: The March 14 Board work session with CBRC will focus on the district's Integrated Grant application. It will also include information and discussion on ESSER.

MD: Prompted group to provide questions they would like to bring to the Board on March 14.

GG: How much of the ESSER funds will be spent on direct service positions? Shifting of TOSA positions to school-based Instructional Coaches; what was the research that informed the decision? Equal is not equitable, these positions will be allocated to each school site though not all schools have the same needs?

EL: Regarding the Instructional Coaches, Dr. Proctor provided some information in the work session and this is a good question for the Board.

MD: Prompted the group for questions on the IGG application.

JC: Roger communicated and asked if there is time for additional topics on the agenda during the work session. He wanted this group to consider if there are additional questions for the Board.

MD: How has the budget outreach data been incorporated into the budget planning?

MD: Some of the resources will be helpful to prepare for the work session, including responses to some of these questions and the work session link from last week.

LS: Last year, there was not time for comments and questions to the Board during the work sessions.

MD: How should we provide questions? Via the portal?

JC: Open to receiving questions pertaining to the work session via email or the portal.

MD: Suggested cc'ing the other members.

JC: Will add the questions in the QA document.

DE: Applying through ODE to support culturally specific affinity groups, would like to know how they will be broken up between the schools. High schools may need more support. Would like details on how the funds would be used.

GG: Where would we look to learn more about guidance on where

DE: When allocating IG funds to charter schools, the IG document says it is required to include all charters in planning; Is it best practice to bring all charters together?

7:30pm

- Closing
- Announcement of the next meeting date and time
 - 03/14 Board work session; tentatively 5-8p (not confirmed)
 - 03/16 CBRC meeting
 - Last year as the report was being created, there were additional meetings needed.
- 6:28p adjourned.

Transcript:

know schedules are complicated. Well, we just wanted to kick off with just kind of a check in here with our board members and a little bit of a refresh from the last meeting.

Jordan, if you want to lead out on that.

Sorry when I was getting the recording started. What were you just saying?

Yeah, just as we're just kind of starting with a refresh from our last meeting.

Oh, yes, so let me bring that up real quick.

Last meeting we did. We met with Dr. Armstrong to talk about. Sorry I'm getting things set up on my

end.

I was also helping. They shall get into the meeting. She's having a little bit of a have trouble.

Wonderful. Thank you so much.

Sorry about that.

Yeah, we just a quick refresher.

We have the presentation from Dr. Kimberly Armstrong about the instructional framework.

We LED a bunch of questions for her about that, and then we also made sure that folks had the letter from the community community, based organizations.

And then we had a bunch of time for committee members to ask more questions, which we then documented, and just an update on that in the question and answers document on the portal.

There are a few new, a few new answers uploaded in there, but there are more to come very, very soon, I think I just looked at the document again today.

That staff have access to. And there's more answers that they've provided so I just need to move them over to the document.

Yeah, so welcome to continue sending questions, submitting them to the the portal or checking in on questions that you've already submitted.

That may not happen anymore.

Right. Thank you. And that is, that is the primary way for communicating with Staff.

If we have questions here just for everyone.

Sorry I'm gonna put the agenda in the chat again for folks who are just coming in.

Perfect.

And if we have a couple of minutes here, I wonder if we wanna go back over some of those questions that have recently been answered. And I can put the portal. The site here for those question answers in the chat.

Jordan, do we have time for that couple of minutes here?

Great.

Yeah, I would say so. And I'll just quickly add that I know I sent an email to you all already.

But Dr. Bernard Adams couldn't be here tonight for a personal emergency, so we have to reschedule the presentation that he was gonna give.

But that will be coming soon, so we have a little extra time.

Great.

We could add this to.

So do we. Wanna do on a share screen on this I can do that if you like.

Okay. Yeah.

I got a quick question, Jordan. Some of the questions that I had listed in the chat last week.

I don't see them in the Member portal under a question and answer.

Oh, I haven't moved. Sorry! That's my fault.

I haven't moved them over to that document. They're in.

Currently, they're in the staff facing document where they're answering questions.

So I just needed copying. Paste it over. I will do that.

That's my man.

Oh, great! Thank you!

Okay, on just a moment. Wash your screen.

Looks like I can't. Jordan. That's okay.

I have it up right now. I'll go ahead, and I'll go ahead and do it.

Okay, I'd be. I'd be happy to read some of these off, though, just for for the great here.

So the question on educational resource Strategies.

We were curious. Why, we don't have an analysis of spending beyond school sites at all, and the question is, do you know, if they were hired to look only at school site spending, or they will be doing a review of spending from other budgets?

At some point, including such as the Central Office, Special Projects, and the response from staff on

this one is that the project does not involve looking at resources.

Time, people and money across the district.

Sorry let me move mine over here a little bit. There we go.

Schools are where we began, because the vast majority of our resources are directed at schools.

The Irs is not tasked with looking at specific expenditures.

For instance, contracts, but rather looking at patterns across the district to help inform, or in some cases reaffirm, the district's path towards aligning people.

Time and money to meet this strategic plan plan, and ultimately the board goals.

And so in that resource we have that attached document with the question and answers leading up to the budget approval framework.

In that process. So that was helpful.

All these, but I'll go through a couple more. So we had a question about the educational resource strategies.

The question. It's comment was, sounds like Iris was hired to help Pps make a plan after Esr funds ran out.

But, as far as I'm aware, very little of the Esr dollars were allocated to staffing.

At the school, sites. I'm curious why, they seem to be only focusing on that piece of the budget puzzle.

So there's an attached document there that shares more details on the overall scope of the Irs Process project.

Excuse me, however, with.

Yeah. I'm sorry. I mean, screen issues here, with respect to the Esr Covid relief dollars for granted by the Federal Government, with the antenna supporting students through the pandemic.

Early on this is more focused on technology and personal classroom equipment, personal protective equipment.

But as needs change and federal requirements change the focus shifted toward, maintaining classroom sizes due to the enrollment fluctuations, launching of an online learning Academy, inclusive of the staffing.

For families to prefer distant learning, environment, hiring staff to directly engage with black and native students to accelerate their learning.

And this past summer we offered summer enrichment, opportunities for thousands and students to name a few initiatives.

It's become an important topic across the nation, because these dollars are heavily invested in student centric activities.

And once the funds run out, districts and State departments will have to determine how to offset and or see certain supports, we have more information about our Esr plans, and there's the link in addition, the budget book.

And there's a citation there, there's more detail.

Lastly, the Oregon Department of Education compiles our Esr.

Expenditure reports along with other school districts, and the organ Department of Education built a dashboard that also provides more detail on these expenditures.

That's kind of the response on that one.

Are there any questions the group particularly wants to dive into?

Okay. Well, looking at our time. Here, let's move on to the Cbrc.

And let's have a discussion kind of about our work.

Stream and the development of our coming report. We have for reference those 2 reports in the agenda which you may have looked at in advance.

Please.

Mariah? Could I make one quick announcement before we move forward?

Just to just to let you all know, and I received word a couple of days ago from Renee Anderson. She has had to step back and down from the Cbrc.

Unfortunately for us, but it is for a very good reason which I am not allowed to share with you at this time.

But hopefully. Once that news is out, I'll share it with you.

But she she yeah, she loved being with on this committee and serving with you all I know.

She really wanted to be here and to finish out this year.

This would have been her last year with Cbrc.

She's done incredible, incredible work. She's been a really valuable member, valued member of the Cbrc.

And I apprecially just want to say I've learned so much from her and her wisdom and her leadership, and I, although I'll miss seeing her in these meetings, I I know that you know she's she's a very well engaged community member and we'll see her

another ways, doing incredible things. So I just wanted to say that before we moved on.

So, George, as I haven't been through this process before, just stepping into a sister Roger with this right, do you wanna lead us a little bit through the upcoming kind of dates and what we're looking at in terms of the work?

Stream. How we wanna and I would welcome Lisa on this as well for her role in past times.

Yeah, I would love to. And, Lisa, if you have any thing to add, since you are part of the creation of the reports last couple of years, that'd be helpful.

Yeah, I think some of it may be Jordan. You can have my timeline, but I think last year I kind of prepped the documents ahead of time, particularly the local option levy.

There's just some updates that happen. But for the most part it's a format letter and fairly easy to achieve.

Once we have the numbers, for I think it's from previous year.

Right, Jordan, on the local option that they it's reporting on last year.

So, and then again this, when we put together the report we had, we broke it out into sections, and people volunteered to write particular sections, and then we agreed on timelines because I don't think any of us wanted to stay up late on that last night it was due particularly me and so we all met certain timelines, and then I kind of collated and put it together, and just kind of did last edits, and worked with a few people to do kind of final edits that everyone felt good about.

And so we can decide to do that again this year, or we can determine a better way.

But I think this past year was probably the most collaborative.

I think that breaking it up into sections, and it made it more.

Yeah, I think it gave everyone an opportunity to have a voice.

And then I also think it just helped cut the workload to be more manageable for everybody, and not just one or 2 people having to take it on.

Hi, I really like the idea of a collaborative approach again this year, particularly if that's worked well in the past.

And we can kind of look at some of the sections that go into that letter.

And kind of gauge interest from our members, that they might want to engage around that.

And just to speak towards to the timeline, which I know I've put in a few, or a couple of emails.

But just say, during this meeting the proposed budget on the Budget calendar, the propos budget from the superintendent is delayred to the Board on April 20 fifth that's what the budget calendar says, and then Cprc.

Is supposed to present their report by May ninth, and it Director Larry, if you have your hand up, I know you.

Yes, something to save others. Go ahead. I'll let you jump in.

Thank you. Jordan. Time I didn't mean to interrupt you. There!

But I think, I'm sure you've all already talked about this as you come on.

Crc. But one of the I was on this committee for 2 years before I ran from the board, and I think and then there was a couple of your break in there.

But I think one of the really interesting things about this committee is this, this group's goal is not to

like.

Look through the entire budget and audit the budget right?

This group's goal is to look at the school district says we're investing in certain things right?

We have our 4 board goals, which is third grade reading to improve scores for our black students, and third grade reading in fifth grade math to, we wanna have a great portfolio but right now we just have the Oregon state

assessment for eighth grade, and then the graduation post-secondary readiness.

So those are the 4 board rules, and it does this budget aligned with those 4 goals.

And are we making investments that further, those goals? Are we living into what we have said?

We will be doing. I know that Board members get overwhelmed getting the budget and feeling like there's not enough time to go through every line item and understand it all.

And that's true. With Cpr. C. 2. But I think last year the feedback from the board was that last year was one of the best, most helpful Cvrcc reviews we've ever gotten, because it really did look at the places where we were investing like we had said and the

places where we weren't and so if you, I think it'd be really helpful if you haven't already done sort of read the report from last year.

The board does take the Cprc. As guidance very seriously, but sometimes I think this because you're the Citizens Budget Review.

There's this feeling like you have to understand, an audit. The full budget.

And it's, you know, a 1 billion dollar budget that can feel overwhelming.

At least I don't know if you have any insight on that part of the process, and how it works as well.

Having been on the committee for several of the last years, but it it that time.

The timeline is tight, and it's hard. But just know that you're not expected to audit the budget essentially.

Yeah, and I think if you read through what we responded to last year, kind of follows in line with that and that, yeah, you obviously can't read the whole budget.

And I think some of it is really just kind of following.

I think Roger this is a proponent of listening to the home meetings and paying attention, so that when you are looking through that budget you can kind of find the sections you need to be looking at and go from there.

So, but it is a tight timeframe.

So you kinda have to focus in on what the priorities are with the 4 priorities.

And it's, yeah.

You know. Thank you for providing that clarity director.

I'm curious to know. What am I? Key questions?

I had last time the last meeting was, how do we evaluate the success of certain programs?

And certain budget allocations and certain programs that will help when we meet our goal.

How do we measure the success of those programs? So if we want to invest in those programs again or not?

So that's a really good question. It that evaluation piece sort of gets outside of the role of the Cprc.

And that I think that's a question you can ask.

Staff and the board, and maybe say to the board in your report that you're investing in things, and we're not that you say will help in these things.

But where is the proof of that? Where is the data?

Where are the metrics? And I know, like, that's something that director from Edwards has asked often of about our and others, and as often about some of our partnerships and investments.

Is? Are we sure that they send for investing in are making a difference or not?

And they're for sure. We continue to invest in them.

So I think, having the Crc. In their reports say we would like clarity to the public of what fruit you're seeing from your investments. Basically.

No, that it's, you know. It's the review committee.

Is there any proactive things that we can do sort of like after the fact?

So you all review the budget, and then you give out your report, and we receive your report before we pass the budget.

So there may be things from your report that we ask for changes, and hopefully, anything in your report that's forward-looking.

Okay. Thank you.

We can also look at for the next budget. But it's that that's kind of how that the relationship works which, really frustrating, I have to say, cause fit in your shoes.

Yeah, from your experience. Have you seen any lights? Changes from the recommendations that's been made?

Cause I don't wanna like waste my time if I don't, you know.

No, there have been changes based on the recommendations of Cprc.

And there have been things that Cdrc. Has done.

Questions that Cvrc. Has asked, that had, like, even in the process, the questions Crc asks can shape staff ideas.

So it's that can be really powerful.

Yeah, is there some like, can we ask for evaluations before they bring the May ninth or.

You can. You can say, how are we approving the efficacy?

You may not get them, because Staff may not, and then, if you don't get them, then I think that goes in the report, saying we are concerned about the fact that we don't know the efficacy of our investments.

Thank you.

And just looking back at at last year's report and some of the recommendations that came through there when I came through universal, at least for me, and rereading.

That was the investment around, you know, supporting and retaining staff and students of color.

And so I think that might be something where we can kind of come back and look at, you know.

Has there been a measurable difference? Change in the past year?

If that available data is available to us. And even if that data isn't, you know, is that something that we still want to encourage the board strongly on?

So I think those types of things we we could look closely at and kind of maybe divide out in section.

So I I would look for others kind of input on that approach, especially if you've kind of look back at last year's Cprc letter to see if we plan to take it in chunks like we've done pasture and let people weigh in.

I would be very supportive of that. I mean cognizant that not everyone's here at night to weigh in. But as we're going forward in these conversations, I'd love to think about it that way with Lisa's recommendation on that.

Jordan or there. Other time points that you wanna advise us on. That this group needs to be cognizant of is for thinking about the development of our recommendations.

Yeah, I. The one thing that came up last year cause last year was my first year through this process as well.

So learning along with some of you, one.

And Jordan is definitely part of why, it was the best last year, right?

Thank you, I would say, no, I'm just gonna move a comment.

The one thing that stuck out to me last year is that you know, even though the Cdc presents its report on that specific date on the calendar, it has to get to the board before that right at least, how long in advance is it a week.

It used to be a week, but we have changed the way we do our board timeline.

Okay.

So I'm gonna ask Rosanna right now I'll text her and ask.

But at at least a week, if not more so. Let me.

I'll check in with her.

Yeah, okay, thank you. And I'll note I'll note that down to, and I'll follow up with Ka as well.

But what that means is that you know you. It says on the calendar, April 20, fifth to May ninth.

But that means it's gonna be a little bit less time than that.

We'll clarify whether it's a week or or what the exact amount of time it is.

But yeah, that will reduce the amount of time that you have to produce.

The report.

And I also wanted to mention that you know the sections we there's new issues every year.

So what we wrote last year. Some may apply, some may not, and so I think, as we move forward, and we see the proposed budget there's definitely probably some themes that we're gonna hit.

That will wanna focus on. So or they can't divide and it up. Now.

And I just wanted to mention that what we wrote last year kind of followed in line with the previous year.

But we definitely added some things that were specific to to the budget for last year.

So just keep that in mind, too. If people have other issues, they wanna raise that.

We're not set to the ones that we highlighted last year.

And I just want to be clear. The reason it's a week ahead is because board members take your report very seriously and wanna have time to read it.

Think about it, and ask good questions. So that's why there's that, you know.

Have you used to been at that time?

Director, looking ahead a little bit. Are there some things that you would call out for our attention this year?

Well, we know that class size is always a really hot button issue with families and community members.

I think, to look at Nope. Class side reducing class sizes is not a work goal, but improve outcomes for students is, and I think one of the really interesting things in this budget is that every school will have a learning coach.

A learning specialist at the school site to help support instructions, and so what are the up class size is one of many lovers that can help with student outcomes to be looking at where those investments are happening.

So instead of having a bunch of teachers on special assignment at the Central Office that go out to schools, Dr.

Proctor was talking about this at the Budget work session that the Board had on Tuesday, which, if you all have a watch that's also a really helpful piece of information.

The staff presentation on the budget, but was talking about how, having educators in a building that are there all the time building relationship with the staff rather than people who drop in on different subject matter, really change the way that we can help increase instructional capacity so as we're looking at what are we

investing, in that. That's one piece that's a big change to try to help move the needle on.

Student. So that's something I'm really excited about, and will be interesting to see how, how else that funding goes.

Another piece that's really before us is the restorative justice work, and we know that our middle schools are really struggling.

And one again exciting inventory is with the Balmer Institute that's coming from U.

Avo, and taking over the Concordia campus and the ways that those investments are especially gonna look at middle school.

So those are some things to keep an eye on, and other places where one of what are the investments that maybe aren't necessarily with the public.

Asks for, like smaller class sizes, what investments are being made towards the student outcomes, so that those are the pieces to kind of keep an eye on, and to say whether or not like I know we don't know how effective they are yet cause this is their new things but to see like okay.

is Pps actually making legitimate data supported investments in what we say.

Are our priorities.

You see now I in the chat I plugged in the link to that board works on board budget work session from last week, and I will add it to the portal as well, for you all to find it there and then.

I'll probably include it in an email that I send to you the next email I sent to you.

And kind of if there's any other discussion on this right now.

Otherwise I'll move on to the local levy option Review.

Okay, Jordan, do you want to tell us a little bit about that work stream and that timing?

Is that concurrent?

For the local option. Yeah, it's so. It's at the same exact time.

The only difference is that you know, with the Cbrc.

Report. Your you're talking about next year's budget, whereas the local option levy you're talking about the use of it that particular year right?

And whether it was used appropriately or correctly. But, Lisa, if you have anything you wanna add to that.

Yeah, so will we get a presentation on that again this year. Jordan.

Say that one more time. Sorry, cut out on my end.

On the local option. Let me.

Maybe it's my computer. It's cutting out.

Yeah, did you free? Yeah, did you freeze? Did so last year we had a presentation on the local, often levy which presented the numbers.

And then I think from that I just updated the format letter with with the new numbers and calculations.

And so I did that ahead of time. So it was off.

Everyone's plate. And we could just focus on the other.

The board the recommendations. So that one, yeah.

That's right. Yeah, no sorry. My! My memory was not working that well, yeah, I remember that now.

That's a great question. I haven't thought about it.

But yeah, I I will bring that question back to Nobarto just to see, I imagine there will probably be another local option presentation, or that information will be packaged somehow.

But I I at this at this moment I don't know, so I'll make sure to ask.

Hmm!

Yeah, I think, particularly for all the new members. I thought that session was really helpful to those people could understand how.

That's how it works and what's what the funds are used for.

Yeah, I will say in the portal I did link to some Board committee meetings where they talked about local option levy.

Since that is coming up soon. So there, if you go to the portal you'll you'll see some videos in there.

I'll make sure I'll go backwards, and I can send that out to you again.

But yeah, I would highly encourage watching some of those, because it has a lot of information on the local option.

Levy and I found it super valuable even for myself.

But in terms of the presentation I am not sure if we've had that yet. So I wanna check in on that.

Yeah.

If we could request that from the committee it seems like that would be really useful, especially since the number of us are new with the extended commity and also just thinking of the timing, I grant, again, if we if we can address some of that work earlier that might help actually inform you know our right of the letter and our evaluation of the the use of funds coming in to this year.

Sounds great. I'll make sure I get that to you soon, or an answer to you soon.

Okay.

Any further discussion on either of those kind of 2 work streams that are coming up.

I would just offer. I'm willing to do the little option.

Levy letter, and or if someone wants to one of the newer members to tag along that way, because this is my last year.

So that way next year that someone has gone through it, too, and worked on that stuff.
Thank you for that. And yeah, I think that's a great idea to share that knowledge for future years.
Absolutely.
Okay, well, do we wanna move on to the board session update?
The fourteenth.
Yeah, sorry. I'm balancing more than one thing at this moment.
Because no Barto is not here, and talking more than I usually do, and Alexandra Martin is with us tonight, too.
She's been taking notes. She can also chime in when necessary on this particular section, but we wanted to at least at least from our end.
And then it's you know, not I don't wanna occupy too much of the time talking about this and leave it up to you all to discuss.
But we wanted to at least acknowledge. You know, the boardwork session with Cbrc is coming up on the fourteenth of March.
It is at this point confirms that it's gonna involve discussion on the Ode Integrated Grant application, which is pertaining to the integrated Grant guidance which for some of you that might be the first time you're really hearing that but we've all we've gone ahead in the agenda, linked some things in there that will give.
That have a lot of information pertaining to that.
So highly encourage you. Look through that the discussion at the Board Work session will also include accesser conversations which we've also linked to the Pps web page with Esser information so if you don't know a ton about Esther I would also, encourage.
you look at that. But aside from that, Roger wanted to make sure that we that I shared with you all the email that he had sent to the board a little while back, and then he was hoping that Mariah or Tas could lead through what topics and what questions you may want to ask at the Board work session.
I'll pass it back to you.
I had a I had a quick question about Esther, which was, I think, so.
I'm not mistaken. 2024 is the last year we can spend. As for dollars. Is that correct?
Okay.
Yeah, that's correct.
So do we wanna spend a little time here and maybe discuss it what questions we wanna bring forward to the board on the budget for our march?
Fourteenth, neat meeting. We can also continue this.
You know the email through the portal. But if we want to outline any of those topics at this point.
Yeah, Grace, let's see.
Hi, I think that my big question as a direct service provider in the district is how much of the Esser funds will be spent on direct service positions.
Okay, we'll catch that in the notes.
Thank you, Grace. Yep, we're gonna be tracking questions as we go.
Alexander and I may not be able to answer all these, but we'll we'll make sure that we can document them.
And kinda to tag on to that question the point that Ailey raised earlier about the shifting of Tosa positions to school-based instructional coaches.
One question I have about that decision is, you know, what was the research behind advising that at this point in the roll out of curriculum, and, you know, equal isn't equitable.
So? Why is every single school getting one coach? And we have different numbers of kids with different needs at different schools, it seems like it's not following our boards.
Priorities in terms of providing more support where there is more need.
So I'm just not sure why they picked one for each school site instead of doing it more equitably.
And Dr. Procter does address that a little bit in the work session with the Board earlier this week. But

that's a great question.

No, we've also as a group had some questions around the Student Investment Act funding and the 50 million dollars there.

I wonder if we wanna narrow that a little bit for any questions to the board?

Roger had discussed, or had had asked for, perhaps a discussion of the Ig application.

Some of you said we. We wanna ask about.

You mean specifically what's in it? How it's structured.

I think so.

Okay. Isn't that the focus of the whole work session?

It is. I'm not sure quite what he meant from his email here I'm just reading back on this one.

Sorry, turn into it a little.

How I can. He talks to me a little bit about this.

Okay, okay, that's all right.

I'm happy to just share with. His thoughts were which he was hoping to share with you all tonight.

But he's not here. So he wanted to bring that piece up one because he and his email to the board and and some staff was specifically about making sure there's time we're requesting that there's time in this board work session for additional topics and conversations

that Cbrc wants to focus on outside of the Ig application, which is one part of one topic that is gonna be discussed at the boardwork session.

So that was one of his major points that he wanted me to relay.

And then the other is, if there is time for other topics at this board work session, what would you all like to include?

And are there any questions that you have that you would like to bring to this session with executive staff and and the board?

If that helps.

Maybe this is a question Jordan, full of you, and our board member is, we've just completed or your office is just completed.

The survey process around engagement. And so I guess I'd be curious to know how those those results are being incorporated in the budget process to inform those choices.

It's a great question. Document this down.

Okay, are there other aspects of the budget that we wanna direct some questions to the board on?

You might also, I mean, if it and I know we haven't spent a lot of time talking about integrated grants.

Guidance and the application. You are welcome to also ask questions about that of staff, and and let us know if there's anything you you would like to have ahead of this work session to prepare you for it.

That's another another piece.

I think that's a really good question. As a new member.

I'm not sure what I don't know to ask for, so I thank you, Jordan, for all the resources that you have shared, and I think, sharing not these.

You know the items that you've shared in chat here, particularly that specific board session would be good.

Okay, yeah, I.

Any past members want to weigh in on resources, we should look at.

No, I was just gonna say, basically the same thing. It seems like we could all benefit from watching the latest boards and kind of think about what questions we can bring to the table when we meet directly with the board.

I think Roger's comments, I think last year there was.

I don't believe there was an opportunity for kind of some open questions and answers.

At the end. So I think that's why he thought it was important that there be allowed some time that we do get to ask questions.

And so again. I think some of it's we should probably all be doing a little research on our own, and maybe we circle back on or propose some questions to ask around themes or priorities that either

following from last year or in watching the board session that we think should be raised in discussing more detail.

Yeah, that sounds great. Jordan. What's the best?

Mechanism for us to kind of share and collaborate in questions.

Do we wanna continue to go through the portal, for that is that best?

You know I terms of best, probably, but I don't wanna limit it, and considering there's a lot to absorb here, and there's not a lot of time before the fourteenth.

I'm totally open to accepting questions. However, you want to send them.

You can email them to me. You can submit them through the the portal, and in conversation.

But I will do my best to document everything and get those back to Staff.

But yeah, just feel welcome, especially pertaining, you know.

Questions pertaining to this word work, session, feel welcome to contact me, and whatever is easiest for you.

That's great, and just a suggestion to CC.

The other members here, so we all get those that'd be great.

Yeah, and whatever questions we do have, I will make sure to plug those into the questions and answers document, anyway.

So definitely keep up with that. And then, yeah, I would encourage definitely, C, seeing other people are including the whole group in question. So it's good.

Okay. I'm sorry that we we didn't get the presentation tonight.

Are there other items that we need to cover? In this session here?

That's kind of run through the agenda that I had.

Or just questions from the group in general that we wanna wanna share before we conclude here in a bit.

I have a question, but I'm not sure if it should be.

Ask now, are placed into the where? We put the questions at.

We have time now. So, yeah.

Should I just ask it? And okay, so it was just about the the work session.

And there's talk of a applying through the organ Department of Education to support culturallyspecific affinity groups and those alike, and just wanted to.

Maybe we can, when we come back together, know how that's necessarily going to be broken up amongst the schools, and whether there'll be preference for high schoolers, because even prior to that there is some talk about the high schools needing some more support in those areas just seeing what what that will entail and what those

funds actually will go towards for the affinity groups, especially if you're applying.

If it's expected to be applying from the organ to departure or going to department of Education.

Yeah, so I just wanted to know, like, how, what's actually going to be or those funds going to be used for those student affinity groups.

Yeah, that's it.

Thank you for that question.

Think Grace's question?

Yes, just a quick question. If maybe Jordan could share where would we look to learn more about what are the the, what's the guidance the district has for how to connect the the proposal for the itg team?

You know what are the requirements for from the State's point of view of what needs to be targeted so that we can can understand better what the proposal is, and I have to go, 'cause my son's in a musical so.

Thank you so much. Grace. Yeah, Alexandra. Sorry.

I can speak to that, so that I can speak to that. So the application for the integrated Grants is a was a really extensive and collaborative process that we're still in the midst of.

But planning and budgeting for those approximately 50 million dollars in funds is a process that took

place over many, many months involved community outreach and internal stakeholder engagement as well as identifying metrics, so longitudinal growth targets.

So it really, really deep collaborative process which you can see.

I think the I think, the right level of detail on it.

In the first bullet integrating 6 appropriations.

So there's a document there out of ode.

That's, I think, less than 20 pages.

That's in LinkedIn, the agenda.

So you should have access to that it's an Ode document.

And so it describes the 6 programs that are included in the Grant guidance.

5 of them are funded, and one of them is an unfinished program.

So you can see the details around some of the goals and requirements for these sources.

The second document that we linked to has a quite a bit more detail on what this application entailed.

And so if you really want to go into the weeds, feel welcome to look through that.

It's about 200 pages in that document so hard to kind of focus in on what's key, but that there there's some information that provides kind of a preview of what will be included in the application that the district provides to the Board and to Ode.

And just to clarify the integrated 6 programs. Document is the Summarized version, and then the the Ode Integrated Grant guidance is the large document that has 200.

I just have a clarifying question in that document. It's the section where it's about the student investment account talks about the charter schools, and how, if a district invites one and it has to invite all is that the best practice normally across the board when engaging with charter schools and in it if it has to do with the budget.

I think we should note that question. I'm not sure about that best practice, but that is a good question. I'll take it.

Okay, sorry. I'm like trying not to ask like the questions that I'm just trying to gauge them so they don't like I can put them in if they're too difficult.

But thanks!

And some of those things are also legal, like we have to treat things similarly, and can't.

I'm not sure about the answer to that one, but it sounds to me like that, might be the answer. But it's a good question to ask, so we can get the right information.

Yeah, thank, you.

Okay, well, it sounds like we have a plan to move forward and to develop out our questions before the work session on the fourteenth.

Any other business we need to take care of here tonight. Jordan.

Not that I'm aware of, he said. I will.

I will also compile these resources and email them to you.

Just so you don't have to try to bring them all in from all over the place.

I'll also add them to the portal, and then, you know, as soon as the materials are sent to that board for that board work session which they have to be in advance right to post, I will make sure we email them to you directly so that you know what you're gonna see during that board work session a little bit ahead of time, and then, like, I said, if you have any questions, anything comes up.

Confusion around any of this. Please send me a message, or posted in the document. I'm happy.

I'll do my best to keep up with everything, and then the just repeat that the Boardwork session is on March fourteenth.

I have not been able to clarify exactly the start time yet.

I know a lot of board work sessions have started at 6, but I checked in with Kara today, and unless Alie, you have information I don't.

What? What is it?

Of March!

The fourteenth. Sorry. Yeah. Yup.

Okay, so that's.

I have 5 to 8. It's Tp, 5 to 8.

Right? Yeah, they're gonna Cara was saying that it's tentatively 5 to 8 right now, and it hasn't been officially confirmed.

But I'm it will most likely start between 5 Pm.

And 8 or 6 Pm.

I'm gonna check right now to make sure I don't have email from her asking me to confirm my availability. She's probably waiting on board members.

Oh, that was the part! I didn't say, Yeah, yeah, I will.

And then to.

As yep. Go ahead. Sorry.

Then to confirm our next meeting as a group is the sixteenth.

After that. Right? Yeah. So we'll have 2 meetings that week.

Oh, thank you. Yes, yeah. It's the same week.

Yeah, 4 weeks.

And honestly as well. If as we start to dive into the creation of the report, I know last year we and Lisa you were, I think you could add to this, too, but I believe we discussed, adding more dates and more opportunities for folks to

come together, so we don't have to be totally stuck to just the dates on the calendar right now, if we wanna add more dates if we wanna add more opportunities for folks to come together to build that report that's on the table as an option.

Yeah, we did have some additional check-ins, and I think the biggest thing we asked was that people did the work ahead of time.

So that will be met. We could be efficient with everybody's time.

Well, I think that concludes our agenda for the evening.

I just wanna say, thank you to everybody on this committee.

You have.

I know it's a lot of work for volunteers, but it's really vital and the board doesn't listen to you.

So thank you for giving up time tonight, and for all the work you're going to be doing in the that you've already done in the weeks ahead.

It's really appreciated and important.

And thank you again for bearing with us this evening and the cancellations, and there's quite a few, and some is going around.

So in the but yeah, and I know was, and very apologetic for having to miss this evening.

Yes.

But he will be. He'll be around for the next coming meetings.

I just thought I'd add, Mariah, you did a great job.

Yes, thank you so much, Maria.

Managing the meeting.

Well, I hope everybody continues to stay well, and I look forward to seeing all of you on the fourteenth.

Then.

Thank you and thank you to our board member for joining.

Thank you. Everyone.